Every Thursday, Brady goes down to the chapel to play basketball with some other guys from the stake. About 20 minutes after he left, I got a text from him..."I think I dislocated his shoulder". Now, before he left, we had been jo3.k.ing about playing ninja basketball so I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. I guess he went up for a lay-up and another guy tried to block him. He ended up slamming into the wall behind the backboard and when he stood up, he realized his shoulder wasn't where it should be and he couldn't really move it.
We ended up just icing it for the night since it was almost 10pm when he got home, and he wasn't in a lot of pain. On Friday morning, we went to Urgent Care and got some Xrays.
Here's his shoulder...can you tell what's wrong???
We ended up just icing it for the night since it was almost 10pm when he got home, and he wasn't in a lot of pain. On Friday morning, we went to Urgent Care and got some Xrays.
Here's his shoulder...can you tell what's wrong???

Here's a hint:
The yellow circle shows where the collar bone is separated from his scapula.
The blue lines are where two ligaments should be (he ripped them both) and the red triangle is the cartilage that holds the two bones together (which he snapped).
The doc said overall, it's the best of the 4 possible shoulder injuries to have because it doesn't require surgery. He said to give it about 6 weeks to heal enough to feel mostly normal but that Brady would always have a bump on his shoulder where the bone will stick up.
Great news overall, but in the meantime, he has very limited motion and can't pick up Emerson or tie his shoes or really do much of anything. I tease him that he did it on purpose to get out of diaper duty, but I know he feels terrible about it.
*UPDATE*
It's been almost a month and he's doing MUCH better. His shoulder still gives him some trouble at night and he has trouble sleeping but during the day, he's got full use of his arm and shoulder and says it doesn't bother him at all, which is great :)
The blue lines are where two ligaments should be (he ripped them both) and the red triangle is the cartilage that holds the two bones together (which he snapped).
The doc said overall, it's the best of the 4 possible shoulder injuries to have because it doesn't require surgery. He said to give it about 6 weeks to heal enough to feel mostly normal but that Brady would always have a bump on his shoulder where the bone will stick up.
Great news overall, but in the meantime, he has very limited motion and can't pick up Emerson or tie his shoes or really do much of anything. I tease him that he did it on purpose to get out of diaper duty, but I know he feels terrible about it.
*UPDATE*
It's been almost a month and he's doing MUCH better. His shoulder still gives him some trouble at night and he has trouble sleeping but during the day, he's got full use of his arm and shoulder and says it doesn't bother him at all, which is great :)

No comments:
Post a Comment